Monday, June 3, 2013

Mango Salsa


Happy Monday!

Mango season is here and our mango trees are working over time! Although only half the trees are producing fruit this year, we are not in short supply. Mango is one of my most favorite fruits. It's fragrant and sweet. After a rinse and a couple of cuts, you get into the fruit. The meat is firm, but tender so you don't have to over work your jaws. And more importantly, it's nutritious! Before I share my Mango Salsa recipe with you, let me tell you a little more about mangoes!





Besides being delicious, mangoes are a great source of prebiotic dietary fiber. Prebiotic fiber helps improve digestion and the immune system. It also contains poly-phenolic flavonoic antioxidant compounds, which help to remove toxins and combat disease. Mangoes are a great source of vitamins A and C. Vitamin A is needed to maintain a strong immune system, as well as good vision. Vitamin C is an important and highly effective antioxidant. It is also rich in potassium, which helps control heart rate and blood pressure.

So have I convinced you that mangoes are good? I hope so! Now it's time for some salsa!!!



Ingredients
  • 1 mango, peeled, and diced
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 avocado, chopped (fist sized)
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced.
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 2-3 limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, diced finely
  • 1 can of corn kernels (fresh is always better)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp black pepper

Procedure
  1. Dice mango, red onion, green bell pepper, and tomatoes. Add to large mixing bowl.
  2. Chop avocado. Add to bowl.
  3. Dice cilantro finely (this will take some time...tip: after washing, dry with a towel and then dice). Add to bowl.
  4. Strain can of corn kernels. Add to bowl.
  5. Juice 2 limes. Add salt and black pepper. Mix. Add to bowl.
  6. Mix!

Viola! You are done! Simple right? This salsa makes for a great refreshing afternoon snack and dinner! I usually serve it over some pan seared fish, shrimp, and scallops or I bake some flat bread and use it as a dip. Yum! I haven't tried it with steak yet...I wonder if it works. 

Let me know if you try this recipe and send me pictures! I won't be offended if you put a twist to the salsa. Let me know how you prepared it, so that I can try! If you enjoyed this post, please let me know down below in the comments. Until next time!

<3 Debbie


Image: The Health Benefits
Facts: Wikipedia - MangoMango Nutrition Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment