Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Shingeki no Kyojin (SnK) - Work In Progress (WIP)


Happy Wednesday!

I have been working on my SnK project for 4.5 weeks now. Actually...it's really 2 weeks because I took breaks and went on vacation.


Before any project...I need to plan. I drew out a lot of the details weeks before I started building anything. Even after drawing things out...I spent a lot of time between steps thinking how things would connect and hold together.


My main cutting tool was an X-ACTO knife. I love those things. After working with a previous cosplay prop...I realized I needed a mat because I cut my wooden floors a couple of times. (Whoops....) The X-ACTO mat is great because it's a portable and easy to store. It's also self-healing, so I don't have to worry about butchering it.


I spent a lot of time making the back gears because I appreciated how interesting it looked. I messed up some parts and had to back track once or twice... Always mark the orientation of your pieces or else you risk cutting the wrong edge!!!


The next pieces I worked on were the hilts and blades. I skipped the rest of the back gear because I needed to figure out how the harness would work first. (I still have not figured out how to do it.......if you have any suggestion please let me know!) Through this process, I came to appreciate how strong hot glue was. I always thought it was a terrible medium. It really depends on the material.....thank you trial and error!


The holders were the last pieces I worked on before leaving for Las Vegas. I had a headache doing measurements and calculating sizes... First I had to take into account how long the blades are, then I had to think about how to transport it in a 30'' suitcase. Next I had to account for how it will store the blades securely without damaging it or disappearing into the holders completely. Cutting out the slits was a PAIN too. Lastly...I still have yet to figure out how to mount it on my body. I initially wanted to work with belt clips and hook it onto the thigh belts, but I will have to scrap that idea because: a) less mobility, b) belts can't hold squat, and c) not secure enough for me to jump around in it.

Yes...I plan on making it secure enough to hop around and do action shots because I heard from SnK cosplayers that they were too scared to jump because of how delicate their props were! There's a big chance I need to remake the holders because I actually made it smaller than I wanted them........ This is what happens when you take a day off between planning and cutting.

Currently, I'm a little backed up with other projects and obligations. I don't know when I will be able to get back to work on SnK...hopefully it will be soon!

<3 Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment